Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Why I am So Affectionate Towards Japan

It all started with Naruto. Naruto is a fictional character from one of the most popular anime in Japan. It would not be wrong if you say that I worship Naruto in a certain manner. Naruto helped me generate a keen interest in Japanese anime. I started watching more anime series. Bleach, One piece, Fairy Tail, Death Note etc. are few of them. But to think about it, anime can’t be the only reason for my obsession for Japan. There were many other factors that led to my affection for Japan.

Japan is one of the weirdest places in face of the earth. Why I say this, the following facts will justify my claim to some extent if the definition of weird is same for you as it is to me. Watching anime and reading manga made me curious and I started researching about japan, the insights on their people and culture that I got, left me with only one expression; “I gotta see this with my own eyes, its fucking unbelievable” and it also left me with an awe, which is weird in its own right.

Few facts that I find weird:
1)    Love for technology: Japan is the most tech savvy nation ever known to anybody. So you must be thinking people there must be using all sorts of latest technology gadgets, right? Wrong they just don’t let go off old technology. The truth is, many things are still being done in painfully old-fashioned ways. How can this be? You see, Japan is still mostly in the hands of the older generation: Over a fourth of the population is over 60, and they're not very fond of new technology. Many businesses still don't even accept credit cards. You will hardly see a 24-hour ATM anywhere in Japan.
2)    Work culture: In most part of the world, falling asleep in the office is likely to get you in trouble from your boss, or worse maybe get thrown out. But Japanese work culture recognizes the employee who works so hard they are forced to engage in "inemuri" - or napping on the job. I don’t even know what’s good and what’s bad anymore. One day in a year they party and this party is celebrated like a festival. Now why is this party special? In an organization each and everyone is invited and on that day you are supposed to binge drink and forget all the problems and differences you might have had with any colleague or even your boss. That night public transports are crowded with drunkards and yet clever people who in that drunken state are smart enough to catch a train to home..
3)    They are Perverted as fuck: In Japan they have a “Cuddle café”. That’s right a cuddle café where you can cuddle with ladies while enjoying a cup of tea or coffee. Pillows designed in the shape of woman’s laps and man’s arms, weirdest sex toys you will ever encounter.
4)    Weirdest Inventions: You have to see it to believe it. Small inventions mostly used as life hacks. Innovation on a whole level. Find details in this link.

In spite such stupidity which I find majestic which is weird in its own way, Japanese are very close to their tradition. They are very disciplined, being on time is in their blood. Respect for elders is instilled since childhood, bowing in front of a person to greet as a sign of respect and according to such form of greeting, it is said that the lower you bow the more respect you give which is very much appreciated.

Japanese are very good hosts, if you are to visit a Japanese family, they will welcome you with such warmth that will leave you with amazement.